Driving under the influence of alcohol is not only dangerous, it's illegal - and the Delaware Office of Highway Safety is dedicated to enforcing the law and keeping the roads safe. Now in its fifteenth year, Checkpoint Strikeforce is a six-month statewide enforcement campaign that features an increased number of DUI checkpoints and patrols every weekend from July 1 through December 31.
The goal of Checkpoint Strikeforce is to stop impaired driving throughout Delaware. Any driver who fails a field sobriety test and is found to be over Delaware's Blood Alcohol Concentration Limit of .08 will face severe legal and financial consequences. There is no leniency for first-time offenders. In fact, just one DUI can change your life.
The Consequences of DUI:
- Lose your driver's license
- Pay an average of $6,300 in fines, court costs and attorney fees
- Jail time
- Alcohol/and drug counseling ($400 - $900 cost to you)
- Get an Ignition Interlock device if applicable ($480 cost to you)
- Pay significantly higher auto insurance premiums
The Statistics Don't Lie:
- In 2013, over 4,400 people were arrested for DUI in Delaware last year
- First-time offenders account for 61% of all DUI arrests last year in Delaware
- Repeat offenders accounted for 39% of all DUI arrests last year in Delaware
- DUI arrests occur most frequently on Friday (15%), Saturday (24%), and Sunday (23%)
- 25-29 yrs and 35-44 yrs each account for 20% of arrests
- 76% of those arrested for DUI are males
- 72% of those arrested were at or above 0.13 BAC
- Males age 20-29 are most likely to be involved in an alcohol-related crash
Accompanying this year's Checkpoint Strikeforce initiative is a public awareness campaign to raise DUI awareness, deter impaired driving and reduce the number of alcohol-related motor vehicle crashes. Paid media in the form of billboards, TV, radio, print, digital, ice chest wraps, liquor store floor clings, and Spanish radio & print ads will reinforce the legal, financial and personal consequences of driving under the influence of alcohol.
Drive Sober. Arrive Alive DE.